Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/17/11 1:51 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:

> by jiminy
>
> i really did think i'd managed to reduce that to a set of questions
> that would elicit responses even my simple brain could understand
>
> but no

No you didn't, you made some assumptions about terminology that I
found/find to be inaccurate. Thus, I've tried to provide some clarity to
you re. my terminology sources and usage purpose.

> {
> for the record the correct answers were:
>
> - because the conneg is broke
> - no
> - yes
> - because the links are broke
> - you wouldn't, the links are broke
> - yes
> - good lord, no, the links are broke
> }
>
> /me returns to lurking

There's nothing wrong with DBpedia.
There's a lot wrong with Hugh's suggestion re. context challenged
introduction of indirection into the browser address bar. You basically,
concur with that point of view. Thus, we can close that matter.

Here's an example from the BBC, with other issues in mind e.g., the
comments you seek content negotiation etc...

Object (Resource) Address (URL): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0162k2k .

The data retrieved from the URL (Address above) describes an Object with
the ID (Name): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0162k2k#programme . This
Object's description (EAV/SPO graph pictorial) takes the form of a
structured data island embedded with the HTML, courtesy of RDFa.

Use of <link/> based relations in the default HTML+RDFa based Object (or
Resource of Type: Web Page or Document) e.g., this  snippet: <link
rel="alternate" type="application/rdf+xml"
href="/programmes/b0162k2k.rdf" />, enables discovery of alternative
Object Representation via the RDF/XML object (resource) address.

Effects of the above:

1. HTML+RDFa oriented user agents that grok Linked Data will know what
to do
2. HTML oriented user agents that grok Web Linking patterns and Linked
Data will know what to do
2. non HTML oriented agents that may be hard wired to discover Linked
Data via content negotiation will be a loss.

See:

1.
http://linkeddata.informatik.hu-berlin.de/uridbg/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fprogrammes%2Fb0162k2k%23programme&useragentheader=&acceptheader=application%2Frdf%2Bxml
-- you can alter the accept headers accordingly and note results .

Links:

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0162k2k%01programme
-- an Address in the URIBurner data space the projects all of the above
in human discernible form, via an HTML page (basically this is the
result of a user agent that groks both HTML+RDFa and Web Linking
patterns in addition to content negotiation).

Kingsley

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com