Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs)

On 10/17/11 6:41 AM, Yang Squared wrote:
> Following the HTTP-range-14 discussion, we developed a Semantic Web
> URIs Validator named Hyperthing <http://www.hyperthing.org/> which
> helps to publish the Linked Data. We particularly investigated what
> happens when we temporary and permnent redirect (e.g. 301 and 302
> redirections) of a Semantic Web URI (303 and hash URI).
>
> http://www.hyperthing.org/
>
> Hyperthing mainly functions for three purposes:
> 1) It determines if the requested URI identifies a Real World Object
> or a Web document;

For sake of clarity, not to knock you nice contribution etc.. I believe
users will appreciate your tool much more once there is clarity re.
terminology.

URIs can also identify non real world objects. Objects represent Things,
their worldly domains isn't a distinguishing factor.

> 2) It checks whether the URIs publishing method follows the W3C hash
> URIs and 303 URI practice;

If the URI publisher handles Name and Address disambiguation via
indirection re. data access. Even when using hash terminated URIs there
is indirection (albeit without using the infamous 303 heuristic re. HTTP
based URIs that are slash terminated).

> 3) It can be used to check the validity of the chains of the
> redirection between the Real World Object URIs and Document URIs to
> prevent the data publisher mistakenly redirecting between these two
> kinds. (e.g. it checks against redirection which include 301, 302 and
> 307)

It can be used to check and validate indirection chains such that
distinction of the following becomes visible:

1. Object (Resource) Name
2. Object (Resource) Address
3. Object Representation.

1-3 have always been distinct re. broader body of computer science.

Again, not knocking your tool, its actually quite awesome! I've just
used it against a number of data object URIs across a variety of Web
accessible data spaces :-)

> For more information please read
>
> Dereferencing Cool URI for the Semantic Web: What is 200 OK on the
> Semantic Web?
> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4138729/paper/dereference_iswc2011.pdf>
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4138729/paper/dereference_iswc2011.pdf
>
> Any suggestion is welcome.