Re: Address Bar URI

On 10/14/11 4:28 PM, Michael Smethurst wrote:

> Have to say from a pragmatic point of view that using replaceState to
> switch between IR and NIR (or whatever we're supposed to call them)
> URIs feels like bad advice for most developers
>
> Users in older browsers are going to see (and copy and paste) one set
> of URIs whilst users of more modern browsers are going to see (and
> copy and paste) another

** Note intending to be rude or inflammatory etc.. **

Could I rephrase your statement for sake of clarity, due to context:

"Users in older browsers are going to see (and copy and paste) one set
of *URLs* whilst users of Linked Data or URI abstraction aware browsers
are going to see (and copy and paste) another"

> So you end up exposing two sets of URIs to the web and to Google et
> al. Google only consolidates page rank for inbound links on 301s (and
> not 302s or 303s) so you'd end up throwing your findability away for
> an esoteric distinction that no-one quite understands. Or understands
> but doesn't quite agree with :-)

Yes, basically, this is about putting the proverbial cart before the
horse. A UX for handling resource locators (URLs i.e., a specific kind
of URI) is now being used to handle URIs in a generic sense, courtesy of
indirection.

> For now cross browser support for pushState and replaceState is pretty
> shonky [1]. It's useful when product managers demand an "app like
> experience" because you can do all the shiny ajax stuff without nasty
> ajax #s and it all looks good on their iDevices. They don't need to
> know that's not what most people see :-)
>
> With apologies for bringing up S*E*O on a Friday evening. And that
> aside it just feels like asking people to add more complexity to
> sidestep existing complexity that they don't understand / see the need
> for in the first place.....
>

> [1] http://caniuse.com/#search=replaceState

+100

Especially as this ultimately impedes comprehension of the Web's
evolution into a global data space of introspective resources (data
objects that reflect a sense of self via their EAV/SPO pattern based
structure, serializable across the wire in a variety of formats ).

I posted a while back (a year or so) that in retrospect, when
introducing DBpedia the flow *should* have been:

1. http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data -- a bookmark friendly and
familiar address (URL) of an HTML based resource that describes 'Linked
Data' .

2. #1 unveils: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data -- basically a
de-referencable resource (object) name endowed with self reflection
that's discernible from the retrieved resource hence the About: XYZ
pattern in DBpedia's HTML pages.

3. http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data -- then surfaces as an
alternative data access mechanism courtesy of indirection (which now has
functional/usage context) delivered by URI abstraction; basically, you
have a generic and extremely powerful data source name added to the mix.

Browsers, with their current world views and associated UX patterns, are
palatable with 1-3 above. People should leverage indirection when they
have a clear sense of its existence and purpose. That (IMHO) helps
reduce the riddle-like nature of Linked Data and the power of URI
abstraction in general.

Kingsley

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software