Re: Where to put the knowledge you add

From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:09:50 -0400
To: glenn mcdonald <glenn@furia.com>
CC: public-lod@w3.org
Glenn,

On 10/12/2011 09:24 AM, glenn mcdonald wrote:

>     Who else would be able to make assertions about "your" notion of
>     Brussels vis-a-vis "some other notion of Brussels" with any more
>     authority than your own?
>

> The person doing the integration of your dataset with some other
> dataset for some purpose of /theirs/. The kind of correspondence
> needed is a function of the purpose of combining the data.

And what of a purpose of yours? That is when you are combining datasets
for purposes of your own?

>     Ignoring owl:sameAs statements isn't an option?
>

> Not if you have a mixture of owl:sameAs statements you /have/ to use
> and ones you /can't/. Whereas if you have x:correspondsTo,
> y:correspondsTo and z:correspondsTo, it /is/ easy to say that
> y:correspondsTo (but not the other two) is the same as owl:sameAs.
Sorry, who is using the x:correspondsTo? You make it sound like
correspondsTo will be used so as to allow/enable the choice you want to
make with regard to owl:sameAs.

Note I am not disagreeing that you will need to make the distinction,
what I am missing is how correspondsTo (if not used with sufficient
granularity) will help you get there? You can't choose to ignore
owl:sameAs on the basis of the components that make up the relationship?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau