From: Sebastian Schaffert [mailto:sebastian.schaffert@salzburgresearch.at]
Sent: Thu 5/5/2011 12:09 PM
To: Barry Norton
Cc: Michael Hausenblas; public-lod
Subject: Re: Linked Media: Extending Linked Data for Updates and arbitrary Media Formats using the REST Principles

Dear Barry,

thanks for your comments. Linked Open Services indeed seems very related technology-wise, but it seems to have a different motivation: while our goal is that of managing and updating Linked Data and treat content and metadata uniformly and applying REST to Linked Data, Linked Open Services is about linking services and applying Linked Data to REST. Or am I confused here?

Maybe it would be worthwhile to combine both approaches, we will look into it. :-)

Am 05.05.2011 um 11:08 schrieb Barry Norton:

> Sebastian, Michael, can I also point out Linked Open Services [1] as related work.
>
> This approach also tries to bring together the full uniform interface of REST with Linked Data principles, and provides one answer to Michael's question about the role of SPARQL in common with other approaches, such as Linked Data Services [2], which are coming together as Linked Services [3].
>
> I'm particularly excited about Sebastian's media-oriented approach as I've been working for just over a month now with MusicBrainz, on the LinkedBrainz project at Queen Mary's, trying to push these aims - some people might remember Paul Groth's challenge to the Linked Open Service presentation at the Future Internet Symposium that MusicBrainz "used to have such an RDF API and deprecated it".
>
> Just one more plug: following the success of the ISWC Linked Open Service tutorial, there will be two Linked Service tutorials at ESWC - one at the conference and one at the Summer School.
>
> Barry
>
> [1] linkedopenservices.org/blog
> [2] openlids.org
> [3] linkedservices.org