Re: Several questions about Linked Data

On 3/23/11 5:32 AM, Richard Light wrote:
> In message
> <AANLkTi=vY_7qWK2+ZS97erTOUzim42KsYTZH3EcRrWH7@mail.gmail.com>, wenlei
> zhou <wenlei.zhouwl@gmail.com> writes
>> Hi, every one
>> I'm a novice to Linked Data. In the learning of linked data, I got
>> several
>> questions.
>>
>> 1. When public a new data set, how does it connect to other data sets in
>> the Linked Data Cloud. Just use the record linkage techniques to connect
>> two identifiers which are actually telling the same entity? Or, is this
>> method only applied to publishing large new data set, not small one?
>> 2. Where is the rdf data stored, which connects two data sets?  Is it
>> just
>> stored in a third party?
>
> Hi,
>
> The way I see it, the name "Linked Data" isn't totally helpful. It
> should be "Linkable Data" or "Potentially Linked Data". There is no
> actual "connection to other data sets" going on, except by the
> well-established web techniques of spidering Linked Data resources,
> and aggregating what is found into a single point of search.
>
> What "connects two data sets" is simply the fact that they [may] use
> the same URL to represent the same concept, and that they express
> statements in a simple graph language which makes it easy to merge
> sets of statements from different sources, and to query across them
> without the need for physical merging.
>
> Others may offer differing views on this issue ...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Richard

Richard,

It's Linked Data because hyperlinks (URIs) are used as a mechanism for
Data Representation. If you look back at the concept of Linked Data
Structures, and then factor in use of Links, the aptness of the phrase
becomes clearer :-)

It's about whole structured data representation using hyperlinks.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen