Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

Hi Dieter:

There are several ontology repositories available on-line, but to my knowledge they all suffer from two serious limitations:

1. They do not rate ontologies by quality/relevance/popularity, so you do not get any hint whether foaf:Organization or foo:Organization will be the best way to expose your data.
2. The selection of ontologies listed is, to say the best, often biased or partly a random choice. I do not know any repository that
- has a broad coverage,
- includes the top 25 linked data ontologies and
- lists more non-toy ontologies than abandoned PhD project prototypes.

As a pragmatic choice:

   http://pingthesemanticweb.com/stats/types.php
   http://pingthesemanticweb.com/stats/namespaces.php

can give you hints on namespace and class popularity (but misses out on properties and ontological individuals).

The most useful tool for your purpose is likely

   http://prefix.cc/popular/all

It's top 50 namespaces will point into the right direction.

But in essence, you are correct that it is difficult for someone external to the LOD core community to find the identifier of the best conceptual element for a given modeling task.

Martin

PS: If you are looking for specific classes, http://www.productontology.org/ will almost always have a valid OWL DL definition for you.