Re: Think before you publish large datasets (was: Re: Think before you write Semantic Web crawlers)

From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 20:03:48 +0200
Cc: public-lod@w3.org, Giovanni Tummarello <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>
To: Andreas Harth <andreas@harth.org>
Hi Andreas:

I do not publish large datasets, and the complaint was not about someone using them. The complaint was about stupid crawlers bombarding sites with unlimited crawling throughput close to a Denial-of-Service attack.

You may want to ask the Sindice guys re implementing polite yet powerful crawlers,

And yes, your institution was among the origins of the malicious crawlers.

I more and more understand why Google, Bing, and Yahoo did not consult with the LOD research community when launching schema.org.

Best
Martin