Re: Squaring the HTTP-range-14 circle [was Re: Schema.org in RDF ...]

On 19 June 2011 12:37, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

[snip pat]

> The way to do this is to build applications where this thing matters. So for example in the social web we could build
> a slightly more evolved "like" protocol/ontology, which would be decentralised for one, but would also allow one to distinguish documents, from other parts of documents and things. So one could then say that one wishes to bring people's attention to a well written article on a rape, rather than having to "like" the rape. Or that one wishes to bring people's attention to the content of an article without having to "like" the style the article is written in.

I would have come down on you like a ton of bricks for that Henry, if
it wasn't for seeing to-and-fro on Facebook about some Nazi-inspired
club (Slimelight, for the record). On FB there is no way to express
your sentiments. Like/blow to smithereens.

> If such applications take hold, and there is a way the logic of using these applications is made to work where these distinctions become useful and visible to the end user, then there will be millions of vocal supporters of this distinction - which we know exists, which programmers know exists, which pretty much everyone knows exists, but which people new to the semweb web, like the early questioners of the viability of the "mouse" and the endless debates about that animal, will question because they can't feel in their bones the reality of this thing.

>> So far, http-range-14 is the only viable suggestion I have seen for how to do this.
>
> Well hash uris are of course a lot easier to understand. http-range-14 is clearly a solution which is good to know about but that will have an adoption problem.

> I am of the view that this has been discussed to death, and that any mailing list that discusses this is short of real things to do.

I confess to talking bollocks when I should be coding.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name