Re: URI Owners

On 6/15/11 11:58 AM, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:
> Picking up on comment by Richard, but forking the thread
>
> "Would you agree that Facebook are the owners of this URI?"
>
> Do URIs have owners? I don't thing "owner" is the correct term. A URI
> has an agent (person, group) who controls what it resolves to, but I'm
> not sure you can own an identifier.

Good point, but as per usual it depends on whether you mean a URI used
as a generic Name or one used as an Address. When used as a generic Name
(as per my dialog with Richard) there is no real control. On the other
hand, when used as an Address, the publisher has full control over data
that's accessed by user agents.

We can never skirt around the innards of the URI abstraction re. Names
and Addresses. This is why its better to use URL when talking about data
access and URI when dealing with a generic Name :-)

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen