Re: Schema.org in RDF ... expected Types in RDFS

On 6/6/11 11:30 AM, Martin Hepp wrote:
>> As the three major seach
>> engines agree on it, it will become a de-facto standard regardless to
>> wether we like it or not.
>
> Hi,
> do not understand why you all hop on schema.org.
>
> It is absolutely unclear whether schema.org will make it, for the simple reasons that:
>
> 1. The schema.org syntax for products is basically the same as the Google Microdata syntax proposed in November 2011. Of all three options (hProduct/hListing, GoodRelations in RDFa, Microdata), this was, afaik, the least popular.
>
> Now, with Google having a market-share of>  80 % in most countries, if people do not add this to their pages when Google recommends it, why should Yahoo and Bing joining make a difference? Most sites are optimized for Google when in doubt.
>
> 2. On the very same page on which Bing is announcing their rich snippets support, they state that they will add GoodRelations in RDFa to the crawler.
>
> 3. The main bottleneck for the a bit slow adoption of rich meta-data for sites is
>
> - the ridiculously slow process of whitelisting your site for rich snippets (it can take months for your page to show actual rich snippets) and
> - the fact that they are only unofficially accepting RDFa in snippet-style [1, 2], which makes authoring RDFa patterns and developing shop extensions a lot easier, because it separates the organization of visible content from the data structures.
>
> Note: Not every move by the three giants will be a success. I guess that only 50 % of e-commerce sites support e.g. sitemaps.org. Google Wave was also a big hype but is now dead, and the list of other failures is long.
>
> I really don't get why you are not fighting for an open Web. Schema.org will not reduce the entrance barriers to rich markup significantly.
> RDFa, in particular in 1.1 flavor, is a great, extensible technique, with tooling etc.

Message is really simple: Bravo to any structured data contribution :-)

Fighting over syntax will ultimately be proven to be a total waste of
time re. Linked Data Structures at InterWeb scales.

Boolean "AND" always trumps "OR".

Google, Yahoo!, and Bing! have actually delivered some good visibility
and credibility for the whole Web as a Global Data Space vision.

As you know, nothing about GR relations graphs are constructable using a
variety of syntaxes. You have a model first and syntaxes for expressing
data for that model, not the other way around :-)

Kingsley

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com