Re: CAS, DUNS and LOD (was Re: Cost/Benefit Anyone? Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW)

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 20:27 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
[ . . . ]
> The use of CAS identifiers supports searching across vast domains of
> *existing* literature. Not all, but most of it for the last 60 or so
> years.
>
> That is non-trivial and should not be lightly discarded.
>
> BTW, your objection is that "non-licensed systems" cannot use CAS
> identifiers? Are these commercial systems that are charging their
> customers? Why would you think such systems should be able to take
> information created by others?

Using the information associated with an identifier is one thing; using
the identifier itself is another.  I'm sure the CAS numbers have added
non-trivial value that should not be ignored.  But their business model
needs to change.  It is ludicrous in this web era to prohibit the use of
the identifiers themselves.

If there is one principle we have learned from the web, it is enormous
value and importance of freely usable universal identifiers.  URIs rule!
http://urisrule.org/

:)

--
David Booth, Ph.D.