Re: Cost/Benefit Anyone? Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW

On 8/18/11 5:27 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> Citing your own bookmark file hardly qualifies as market numbers.

My own bookmark? I gave you a URL to a bookmark collection. The
collection contains links for a variety of research documents.

> People promoting technologies make up all sorts of numbers about what
> use of X will save. Reminds me of the music or software theft numbers.

Er. and you posted a link to a press release. What's your point?

> They have no relationship to any reality that I share.

But you posted an Informatica press release to make some kind of point.
Or am I completely misreading and misunderstanding the purpose of that
URL too?

> It's been enjoyable as usual but without some common basis for
> discussion we aren't going to get any closer to a common understanding.

Correct :-)

Kingsley

> [...]
>> guilty or not guilty. In the world of FB and G+ the fundamentals of
>> society are currently being inverted. Anyone can ultimately say
>> anything about you. Both parties are building cyber police states via
>> their respective silos. Grr... don't get me going on this matter.
>>
>> Every single netizen needs a verifiable identifier. That's the bottom
>> line, and WebID (courtesy of Linked Data) and Trust Semantics nails
>> the issue.
>>

>>> So who bears that cost? Each of those users? It cost each of them
>>> something to get a WebID. Yes?
>>
>> Look here is a real world example. Just google up on wire shark re.
>> Facebook and Google. Until the wire shark episodes both peddled lame
>> excuses for not using HTTPS. Today both use HTTPS. Do you want to
>> know why? Simple answer: opportunity cost of not doing so became
>> palpable.
>>

>>> What is their benefit from getting that WebID? Will it outweigh
>>> their cost in their eyes?
>>
>> See comment above.
>>
>> We've already witnessed Craigslist horrors. But all of this is
>> child's play if identity isn't fixed on the InterWeb. If you think I
>> need to give you market numbers for that too, then I think we are
>> simply talking past ourselves (a common occurence).

>>> Maybe you share your observations with G and FB. ;-)
>>
>> Hmm. wondering how you've concluded either way :-)
>>

>>> Seriously, I don't think they are as dumb as everyone seems to think.
>>
>> I haven't characterized them as dumb. I would put this in the
>> careless and ambivalent bucket.
>>

>>> It may well be they have had this very discussion and decided it
>>> isn't cost effective to address.
>>
>> See my earlier comments. Or just look at the G+ "real names" imbroglio.

>>> Yes, but your solution: "...starts off with identity reconciliation..."
>>
>> See comments above about WebID and Trust Logic. It just another way
>> of referring to the issues that have resulted in outputs from the
>> Semantic Web Project.
>>

>>> Sure, start with the critical problem already solved and you really
>>> are at a "...market place north of 100 Billion Dollars...", but that
>>> is all in your imagination.
>>
>> See my earlier comments. And for your numbers, see links below.
>>>
>>> Having a system of assigned and reconciled WebIDs isn't a zero cost
>>> to users or businesses solution. It is going to cost someone to
>>> assign and reconcile those WebIDs. Yes?
>>
>> You can buy a solution that post installation will make and reconcile
>> all kinds of identifiers including those that serve are WebIDs for
>> humans or agents.
>>

>>> Since it is your solution, may I ask who is going to pay that cost?
>>
>> Companies have been paying for it already, for quite some time :-) I
>> am not speculating, simply sharing perspective re. what commercial
>> opportunities exist when you grok the Semantic Web Project stack and
>> the application of its output to solutions that solve real problems.

>>> Interested to hear your answer since that distinction has never been

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen