Re: How many instances of foaf:Person are there in the LOD Cloud?

On 13 April 2011 23:49, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:
> Thanks everybody !
>
> Could not imagine that this simple question would trigger such an activity.
> Actually my naive "quest" was to figure how many people had actively
> published, and possibly still maintain a FOAF profile for themselves, vs the
> number of profiles stored and maintained in a proprietary social system, vs
> a profile computed out of their activity on the web for any purpose.
> Browsing all the answers makes me wonder. I was not aware of so many sources
> of FOAF information (to tell the truth a great majority of domains quoted by
> Michael in his 25 top list were totally unknown to me until today). The
> number I had in mind when asking was rather abou FOAF profiles actively
> maintained by some "primary topic" aware of what FOAF is and deliberately
> using it to be present in the social semantic web. I suppose this number
> really represents a microscopic part of the millions announced, but I do not
> know more about it at the end of this day. Except that most FOAF information
> is certainly produced without people subject of the triples even being aware
> of it, or even knowing that FOAF exists at all (supposing they are living,
> real people).
> Actually it's quite easy to produce FOAF out of any social application data
> with an open API. So the millions I read about are simply an image of the
> millions of users of social software using open API, plus the growing number
> of people for which "public" data is available such as people listed in
> Wikipedia and Freebase.
>
> So tonight I would turn my question otherwise : Among those millions of FOAF
> profiles, how do I discover those of which primary source is their primary
> topic, expressing herself natively in FOAF, vs the ocean of second-hand
> remashed / remixed information, captured with or without clear approbation
> of their subjects, and eventually released in FOAF syntax in the Cloud ...

I think you can also look out for "next generation" FOAF profiles that
have a public key (WebID), have ACLs and allow a read/write Web eg.
through SPARQL Update, WebDAV, PushBack etc.

We're starting to see the very first of these emmerge, as
standardizations progresses in parallel.

This begins to close the loop in terms of a standard way to make a
semantic social collaborative space, with FOAF at the heart, and is
going to lead to hopefully a whole new wave of apps and innovation on
The Web.