Re: 15 Ways to Think About Data Quality (Just for a Start)

On 4/12/11 3:55 PM, glenn mcdonald wrote:

>     Please post the URL in question so I can double check what's
>     happening. Remember, I am sharing URLs across the Web, there are
>     many factor in play re. time variant nature of resources. etc..
>
>     Anyway, give me a URL and I can look into what might be happening.
>

> http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/ode/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson
>
>     To you, I've wired the setting backwards i.e., I opted not to
>     impose the overhead of owl:sameAs union expansion by default.
>

> No, this is not a "to you" thing. The checkbox is off, but the sameAs
> expansions *are* showing. I'm not arguing a philosophical point, I'm
> observing that you have a UI bug.

The link above doesn't correspond to any link I've sent to you
owl:sameAs inference context. Basically, that's ODE one of many browsers
we offer. Its forte isn't showcasing owl:sameAs expansion.

Here are the links I sent earlier:

1.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson
-- basic description of 'Micheal Jackson' from DBpedia

2.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson
-- list of source named graphs in the host DBMS

3.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&tp=2
-- list of named graphs with triples that reference this subject

4.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&tp=3
-- explicit owl:sameAs relations across the entire DBMS (clicking on
each Identifier will unveil the description graph for the Referent of
said Identifier)

5.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&tp=4
-- use of an InverseFunctionalProperty based rule to generate a fuzzy
list of Identifiers that potentially share the same Referent (click on
each link as per prior step)

6.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&sas=yes
-- inference context enhanced description of 'Micheal Jackson' (this is
a union expansion of all properties across all Identifiers in an
owl:sameAs relation with DBpedia Entity, hence use of paging re.
handling result set size.)

7.
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&sas=yes&p=6&lp=7&op=4&prev=&gp=6
- Page 5 of 8 re. enhanced description of 'Micheal Jackson' .

I also sent the following links in response to your SPARQL solution to
Danny's puzzle:

1. http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/CV5SCWN -- your SPARQL query
2. http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/CYOT3KC -- SPARQL 1.1 variant
3. http://lod.openlinksw.com/c/CYGCJVN - DESCRIBE (using this via raw
/sparql endpoint will produce a graph in format of your choice).

Your queries:

**For the interested, the single-domain SPARQL query was this:

PREFIX rdfs:<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>
PREFIX wn:<http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/schema/>
PREFIX id:<http://wordnet.rkbexplorer.com/id/>

SELECT DISTINCT ?planet WHERE {
   ?s1 wn:memberMeronymOf id:synset-solar_system-noun-1 .
   ?s1 rdfs:label ?planet .
   OPTIONAL {
     ?s1 wn:containsWordSense ?ws1 .
     ?ws1 wn:word ?w .
     ?ws2 wn:word ?w .
     ?s2 wn:containsWordSense ?ws2 .
     ?s2 wn:hyponymOf id:synset-Roman_deity-noun-1 .
   }
   FILTER (!bound(?s2))
}

and in SPARQL 1.1 it could be simplified to (I think):

PREFIX rdfs:<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>
PREFIX wn:<http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/schema/>
PREFIX id:<http://wordnet.rkbexplorer.com/id/>

SELECT DISTINCT ?planet WHERE {
   ?s1 wn:memberMeronymOf id:synset-solar_system-noun-1 .
   ?s1 rdfs:label ?planet .
   MINUS {
     ?s1 wn:containsWordSense ?ws1 .
     ?ws1 wn:word ?w .
     ?ws2 wn:word ?w .
     ?s2 wn:containsWordSense ?ws2 .
     ?s2 wn:hyponymOf id:synset-Roman_deity-noun-1 .
   }
}

>>     These are great. I support HTTP access, multiple formats, and
>>     URL-addressable queries/results/views.
>
>     But you have a "silo". The day you deliver Objects with IDs that
>     resolve to their Representations via URLs is the day I'll drop the
>     "silo" tag re. your data space :-)
>

> I wasn't even talking about Needle, but that day came long ago. All
> Needle nodes have IDs that resolve to representations via URLs.

Okay, what where you talking about? Specificity helps everyone, this is
a public forum etc..

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com