Re: 15 Ways to Think About Data Quality (Just for a Start)

On 4/12/11 9:53 AM, glenn mcdonald wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     1.
>     http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson
>     -- basic description of 'Micheal Jackson' from DBpedia
>

> The very first assertion on this, your first link, is
> "is sameAs of: Michael Rodrick". And you wonder why I keep distracting
> your technology demos by talking about data quality...

In addition to my prior comments, you could have looked up the source of
the subjectively errant assertion via its source named graph:
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct/rdfdesc/usage.vsp?g=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fresource%2FMichael_Jackson&tp=2
. Or you could have just followed the link:
http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsw.opencyc.org%2F2008%2F06%2F10%2Fconcept%2FMx4rvWuBAJwpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA
. Either way, you would come to realize:

1. The DBMS has many Named Graphs
2. The browser page in question scopes queries to all graphs
3. Nothing about this setup enforces owl:sameAs inference -- the reason
why you have other links showing application of owl:sameAs reasoning to
the data in question.

As I've told you repeatedly, we have Named Rules and Named Graphs. In
our world these parts are all loosely coupled so that humans and agents
can pursue their desired world views. I am not trying to enforce
anything on anyone via our technology. Basically, this is about showing
the virtues of loosely coupling critical parts of this Linked Data
ecosystem.

BTW - we are already working with Yago2, ProductOntology, OpenCyc re.
fixes to their DBpedia mappings. All part of a virtuous cycle driven by
conversations about the data with subjective enhancements via "context
lenses" as the final destination.

To concluded, finding the subjectively bad needle in the haystack is in
of itself immensely valuable with regards any pursuit of subjective data
quality. You can fix what you don't know is broken.  LOD is a large
community ditto DBpedia, nobody (as far as I know) has ever espoused the
position that "data quality" is a no-go area. What I think people do
espouse (I might be wrong) covertly is this: make your contribution
rather that berate those already making contributions, however perfect
or imperfect these contributions might be.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen