Re: LOD Cloud Cache Stats

On 4/6/11 1:41 PM, glenn mcdonald wrote:

>     My target audience is interested in DBMS scalability with regards
>     to RDF data ingestion, indexing, and publication. You, as far as I
>     can gather are more interested in idealism
>

> I'm interested in making computers do a better job of helping humans
> make sense of data. So yes, I care about data quality and software
> usability, without which DBMS scalability is useless. I don't think
> this constitutes "idealism".
>
>     I think this might be your first post series to the LOD mailing list
>

> Nope. Not even the first involving you.
>
>     , and you make a quantum leap re. assumptions about what I am
>     demonstrating or why I released the stats spreadsheets.
>

> Er, no. I understand exactly what you're /trying/ to demonstrate.
>
>     Yes, and most of the folks you refer to on these mailing lists
>     (esp. Semantic Web segment) already know the entire paper is about
>     the stuff OWL handles very well.
>

> Yes, and if you spent a year or three going through dbpedia and
> replacing all the untyped strings with typed nodes, and asserting all
> the missing owl:sameAs statements, it would probably be a much
> improved dataset. But this is like saying "Nails hold things together,
> therefore they're the best way to build a great bridge", and then
> pointing at a bad bridge made with nails. The bad bridge doesn't prove
> you can't build a good bridge with nails, but neither does it prove
> you can.

I didn't start this thread with polishing datasets in mind. That's
utterly orthogonal (at best) to what this thread is supposed to be about.

DBpedia does have a mailing list. The community is vibrant and open to
all contributions re. data quality enhancement. If you have fixes, make
a linkset (collection of triples) and contribute to the project etc..
I'll upload you contribution to its own Named Graph in minutes, and
DBpedia will be "subjectively" improved, in line with your particular
world view.

> But I'll broaden my question: who is using the LOD cloud for anything
> other than learning SPARQL syntax or demonstrating Virtuoso?

You can ask that question in another thread if its that important to you.

> I don't mean this rhetorically, I really want to know.

Ask in a different thread.

> glenn

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software