Re: Proper usage of HTTP for LD servers, clients, crawlers etc.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Markus Luczak-Rösch
<markus.luczak-roesch@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since on the LDOW11 and USEWOD workshops at WWW there was the recent
> discussion about using HTTP referrers properly when browsing, crawling
> etc. linked data (short using it) I would like to add another thing that I
> was wondering about. If endpoints deliver no content to the client e.g. if
> the client performs a SPARQL query that yields no results, servers answer
> HTTP status code 200 and deliver some content that holds the information
> that there were no results. As far as I see, there is the HTTP status code
> 204 for exactly this, isn't it? (see
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html)

No, 204 is for the case when there's no actual representation body in
the HTTP response, as demonstrated by the requirement that "The 204
response MUST NOT include a message-body".

Mark.