Re: Next version of the LOD cloud diagram. Please provide input, so that your dataset is included.

On Sep 2, 2010, at 02:10 PM, Anja Jentzsch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are in the process of drawing the next version of the LOD cloud diagram. This time it is likely to contain around 180 datasets altogether having a size of around 20 billion RDF triples.

Cool!

But please ... this time, will there be any effort to make visible
the clustering within the LOD Cloud?  This seems to me one of the
best ways to encourage data set publishers to link out -- and that
*is* important to grow the utility of the *overall* data set.

To date, the only graphic I've seen which shows just how little
overall interconnectedness there is (was) in the LOD Cloud is my
own ... which someone has long since removed from display on the
EWC wiki page with the Cloud-like graphic, and which is certainly
well outdated, but which is still found here --

   http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/images/dbpedia-lod-cloud.html

Now, granted, mine didn't make the bubbles into a pretty cloud-like
overall shape -- but it did reveal that most data sets (e.g., flickr
wrappr, Magnatune, Audioscrobbler) were only connecting to one or
two others -- and I think that's important to see, just as it is
to see which data sets several or many others connected to (e.g.,
DBpedia, Geonames, Musicbrainz), and which sets connected out to
several or many others (e.g., Revyu, Linked MDB, the not-really-a-
data-set cloud of FOAF Profiles)...

Be seeing you,

Ted