Re: RDFa editors

Hi Stéphane,

> I think it's wrong to advocate "Use RDFa in Snippet Style rather
> than combining visible markup and RDFa data markup." straight off
> the bat - this might be a good advice in some cases, but saying that
> without any disclaimer or context is misleading. People should first
> look at integrating RDFa inline with their content and use the
> snippet style when appropriate. The RDFa specs have lots of examples
> which applies to inline HTML+RDFa, and if you look around you will
> see that a lot of webpages have inline RDFa (foaf profiles,
> licensing). RDFa snippets might work better for ecommerce, but
> please don't generalize.

I am not religious about this, and the origial document is part of the
GoodRelations cookbook.

Two remarks, however:

1. If you have dynamically populated Web page templates, e.g. in
Django-style, then all of the arguments re consistency between visible
content and meta-data in case of changes become irrelevant, because
mentioning the same variable once or twice does not make any difference.

2. For non-trivial data-structures, properly weaving in RDFa into
existing (!) XHTML markup is an intellectually very challenging job,
in particular if the organisation of the existing markup for visible
content does not naturally match the structure of the data.

Also note that many sites have pretty complicated, pre-existing
(X)HTML templates; they do not start from scratch. Look at the
ovestock.com page at

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Bell-and-Howell-DV550UW-12MP-Digital-Video-Camera-with-Underwater-Housing/4450313/product.html

3. As for the impact on the page size you have to consider that
duplicate content will compress very well.

The only argument in favor of combining visible content and meta-data
that I really accept is that this provides a slightly higher barrier
for manipulative search engine optimization by using different content
for the visible and the invisible payload. But it's on the other hand
easy for a search engine to spot and punish sites that use e.g. a
lower price in the meta-data than shown on the page.

Martin