Re: Low Quality Data (was before Re: AW: ANN: LOD Cloud - Statistics and compliance with best practices)

On 10/25/10 3:17 PM, Christian Fuerber wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I have just published a post on data quality defining sources in response to
> Leigh's question at
>
> http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/1072/quality-indicators-for-linked
> -data-datasets
>
> Maybe this additionally helps you to find out what data quality really is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christian

> Dipl.-Kfm. Christian Fürber
> Professur für Allgemeine BWL, insbesondere E-Business
> e-business&  web science research group
> Universität der Bundeswehr München
> e-mail: c.fuerber@unibw.de
> www:   http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/
> homepage: http://www.fuerber.com/
> skype: c.fuerber
> twitter: cfuerber

Christian,

No matter how you cut it, this matter is inherently subjective, ditto
every comment I am going to make about this matter via my comments below:

We have to understand and accept that heterogeneity is a fact of life
that is magnified by the Web.

In the real world we coalesce around "world views" and their subjective
truths.

You can never explicitly deem one data space or the data sets it hosts
as being canonically high or low quality. Of course, said data sets or
host data spaces may or may not appropriately serve a specific data
driven need for: a human, humans, agents, or a collection of agents
working on behalf of humans.

Nothing wrong with constraints that serve the needs of a specific data
driven task, we just can't deem any subjective criteria as canonical re.
data quality, in a general sense.

One person's Spam is another person's Ham. Such is the case in the
real-world and so it shall remain re. Web of Linked Data. Context is king!

IMHO. The beauty of the Web of Linked lies in our ability to "agree to
disagree" without shedding an ounce of blood. Basically, we arrive at
deeper insights via true exploitation of gestalt -- which doesn't
require imposition of absolute truth on anyone. Heterogeneity is the
spice of life. We are inherently imperfect by design.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen