Re: Concordance, Reconciliation, and shared identifiers

On 10/23/10 5:44 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday, October 22, 2010, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>> On 10/22/10 11:47 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>>
>> A great project would be for someone to produce a Linked Data wrapper
>> for the Guardian API, that allows linking *in* to their data, based on
>> ISBNs and MusicBrainz ids. Its on my TODO list, but then so is a lot
>> of other stuff ;)
>>
>> We've had sponger meta cartridges [1] for the Guardian API since its
>> early incarnations.
> Do you have an actual example of that? I had a look at the docs and I
> couldn't see how/where the Guardian API data was being surfaced. The
> meta cartridge seems to pull a small amount of info from the Guardian
> website, rather than the OpenPlatform.

I'll see if I can get you an example of a sponger pipeline that starts
with blurb about a book or music artist from any resource outside the
guardian data space where the end product (as Linked Data graph) should
contain references to Guardian articles associated with an MBZ entity
and/or a book associated with an isbn.

>> Again, it would be interesting to build bridges between different
>> communities by showing how one can achieve the same effects with
>> Linked Data, as well as integrating Linked Data into those services by
>> providing gateways services, e.g. implementing the same API but backed
>> by RDF. This is what I did for the Gridworks, but the same could be
>> extended to other services.
>>
>> On our part, we've been doing so since Linked Data inception, and will
>> continue to do so
> Well the more effort the better. Has anyone else explored the
> boundaries between the Linked Data cloud and other APIs and services?
>
> What do people think of more tailored lookup and access services onto
> Linked Data over and above simple follow your nose and SPARQL?
+1

That should be the norm, certainly the view we've held (expressed via
our Meta Cartridges) since day one. The Web of Linked Data is  -- when
all is said an done -- a distributed database play, so if lookups are
pivotal to productive DBMS exploitation, so it should be for the Web of
Linked Data.

> Cheers,
>
> L.

President&  CEO