Schema Mappings (was Re: AW: ANN: LOD Cloud - Statistics and compliance with best practices)

Hi,

On 22 October 2010 09:35, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de> wrote:
>> Anja has pointed to a wealth of openly
>> available numbers (no pun intended), that have not been discussed at all.
> For
>> example, only 7.5% of the data source provide a mapping of "proprietary
>> vocabulary terms" to "other vocabulary terms". For anyone building
>> applications to work with LOD, this is a real problem.
>
> Yes, this is also the figure that scared me most.

This might be low for a good reason: people may be creating
proprietary terms because they don't feel well served by existing
vocabularies and hence defining mappings (or even just reusing terms)
may be difficult or even impossible.

This also strikes me as an opportunity: someone could usefully build a
service (perhaps built on facilities in Sindice) that aggregated
schema information and provides tools for expressing simple mappings
and equivalencies. It could fill a dual role: recommend more
common/preferred terms, whilst simultaneously providing
machine-readable equivalencies.

I know that Uberblic provides some mapping tools in this area,
allowing for the creation of a more normalized view across the web,
but not sure how much of that is resurfaced.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds