Re: Reification alternative

I see mainly 2 alternatives:

1) using quads;
2) using named graphs.

1) Quads
    -----

Quads simply add a fourth element to triples. That element can be used
for instance to annotated the triple, or name the triple for further
descriptions. With your example:

ex:User foaf:interest ex:Item ex:stmt1 .
ex:stmt1 rdfs:label "Statement that ..."@de ex:metastmt1 .
ex:stmt1 dc:publisher ex:Service ex:metastmt1 .
ex:stmt1 dc:created "2010-10-13"^^xsd:date ex:metastmt1 .
ex:stmt1 dc:license ex:License ex:metastmt1 .

Quads is not really a language for publishing data. It's rather a
convenient syntax to exchange multiple datasets. It does not have a
formal semantics.

2) Named Graphs
    ------------

Named Graphs can be used to simply delimit what are the triples within
an RDF graph. Basically, you put a set of triples together and give a
name (a URI) to that set. To describe a single triple, you can make a
singleton named graph.

ex:stmt {
   ex:User foaf:interest ex:Item ex:stmt1 .
}
ex:stmt rdfs:label "Statement that ..."@de .
ex:stmt dc:publisher ex:Service .
ex:stmt dc:created "2010-10-13"^^xsd:date .
ex:stmt dc:license ex:License .

You can assume that triples that are not in a graph (delimited by curly
brackets) are members of an implicit "default graph". Named Graphs are
not used to publish data either. They are normally used internally for
storing RDF data that come from different sources. While the semantic of
a single named graph is more or less explain in the specification, the
semantics of a multigraph document is undefined. This may evolve in the
near future since there are discussions about standardising named graphs.

Regards,
AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann