Re: Best Way to Extend the Geo Vocabulary to include an "error" or "extent" radius in meters

Peter,

FWIW, there's precedent for point and uncertainty in the "geo URI" RFC:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5870

This would let you express fuzzy locations with fuzzy points instead
of precise circles.

Cheers,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for bring up these relevant issues.
> The geo vocabulary assumes the lat and long are in WGS84.
> One of the problems that we were seeing are records that were georeferenced
> to the center point of a Canadian Province at it was not clear if that was
> actually where the species was observed. Was it at that specific point
> or did someone simply tag apply geocode it later to the center of the
> province later? Part of this relates to your
> comment on provenance.
> I had hoped on incorporating both the extent "the actual area that was
> sampled" along with the error in the GPS reading to create one all
> encompassing radius. Sometimes people will take a GPS reading and then
> observe butterflies or plants that are not exactly at that point but within
> 50 to 100 meters.
> I am hoping that the issues that you mention with New York etc would be in
> part of a separate set of statements
> using some standard vocabulary like geonames to indicate the county or state
> the observation was made.
> Thanks Again,
> - Pete
>
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Paul Houle <ontology2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi LOD'ers,
>>> There was some discussion about ways to record species observations using
>>> the geo vocabulary at a recent biodiversity informatics meeting.
>>> Some see the advantages of using the geo standard, but we really need to
>>> have a way to incorporate and error or extent in meters.
>>>

>>     For Ookaboo I've worked out an internal data model for points;
>> Ookaboo also knows about real shapes,  but the fact is that most people out
>> there will throw points at you and only know how to consume points.
>>
>>     Here are a few bits of extra data that are useful to add to a point
>>
>> (1) provenance
>> (2) datum (I try to stick to WGS84,  but points from freebase occasionally
>> have a Datum attached,  so I store it)
>> (3) circular error (the accuracy of the determination of the point,  for
>> instance the technical limitation of a GPS receiver)
>> (4) scale length of feature (how accurate do we have to be?  it's not
>> worth getting into an edit war over the exact point that represents,  say,
>> Finland.)
>> (5) an overall quality rating (so if we've got ten points we can pick the
>> best)
>>
>>     Note that (3) and (4) are weakly exclusive of each other.  If,  for
>> instance,  I'm representing a GPS point that the camera was at when a photo
>> was taken,  that's literally just a point,  and (4) is zero.  On the other
>> hand,  (4) >> (3) if the point represents "New York City",  because you
>> can't really fix the location of something that sized to more than a few km.
>>
>>     This distinction is really important in doing data cleaning work.  If
> [...]

Sean Gillies
Programmer
Institute for the Study of the Ancient World
New York University