Re: URI Schemes & Headers Dependencies

Nathan wrote:
> All,
>
> A couple of questions (2)...
>

> 1: URI Scheme Issue(?)
>
> The model of Web Access Control with FOAF+SSL will often lead to us
> CRUDing resources via HTTPS, and often to retrieve them too.
>
> Linked Data is currently, and predominantly served via http scheme URIs,
> not https.
>
> Often the model of exposing resources via HTTP but updating via HTTPS
> will appeal / seem logical.
>
> However, if we GET http://a and then PUT/DELETE to https://a - these are
>  (afaict) two completely different resources, which surely means that we
> will need to stick to pure https scheme uri's for all resources which
> could be subject to web access control via foaf+ssl - ?
>

> 2: RESTful Linked Data / HATEOAS / Header dependencies.
>
> Currently, there seems to be a tendency to expose lot's of additional
> information for each resource via http headers, Link alternative, edit,
> MS-Author-via and so forth - for a long time I haven't considered the
> implications of this, until today.
>
> I would ask then, why are we placing this Header dependency in to our
> linked data - and moreover, why are we not putting this vital
> information *in* our rdf documents? [please read on before responding]
>
> Of primary concern are:
> - rel alternative
> - rel edit
>   (sub, describing the edit/delete methods, SPARQL-Update / GET|PUT etc)
> - rel acl
> - rel memento

after further thought:

rel acl must remain a header (how do you acl an image)
rel memento likewise
rel alternative likewise w/ caveat that it can also be in rdf/rdfa since
it isn't control data.

re: rel edit; perhaps best to forget until SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP
Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs [1] is finished. With consideration of [2]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-http-rdf-update/
[2] http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/rest-apis-must-be-hypertext-driven

Best,

Nathan