AW: Contd: Nice Data Cleansing Tool Demo

Hi,

Using dynamic collection you can essentially implement any pivot/query
refinement/filter operator you like, including the ones mentioned above.
It is true that the demo collections from Microsoft do not show this (yet),
but we have some of them in our system at
http://iwb.fluidops.com/pivot

> >> The most interesting part to me is the use of an alternative symbol
> >> mechanism for the human interaction aspect i.e., deep zoom images
> where
> >> you would typically see a long human unfriendly URI.
> >>

> > "Where you would typically see URIs"? Really?
>
> **clean up post re. some critical typos **
>
> Where would you see URIs? What do you see when you use:
> http://lod.openlinksw.com ?
>
> And when you don't see URIs (human or machine, the typical case re.
> Faceted Browsing over RDF) what do you have re. HTTP based Linked Data?
> Zilch!

> however,

Yes, ideally you have clean homogeneous data. However, in our demonstrator
we do operate on a larger, un-cleaned LOD data set, incl. DBpedia (>3Mio
entities) and several others (around 200Mio triples in total). Clearly, you
see the problems in the data (missing images, wrong images, duplicate
values, ...) Still, I see it from a positive side: I believe that for many
information needs, visual exploration is a very effective paradigm, and with
such a great tool like Pivot one can achieve a phenomenal user experience.
And it is possible to show that with real LOD data already today.
As Georgi said, the data quality will improve over time. Visual exploration
tools like Pivot - where you actually *see* the problems - might help on
this front.

> > Is  that really a problem of Linked Data Web as such? I don't think
> so.
> > There is a lot of badly structured, not well cleaned up data on the
> > current
> > Linked Data Web. Because there was so much excitement about
> publishing
> > anything in the early day, and so little attention to the actual data
> > that's
> > getting published. That is going to change.

> >> This part is what I call an innovation slot since we have hooked it
> into
> >>
> > our
> >
> >> DBMS hosted faceted engine and successfully used it over very large
> data
> >> sets.
> >
> > Kingsley, I'm wondering: How did you do that? I tried it myself, and
> it
> > doesn't work.
>
> Did I indicate that my demo instance was public? How did you come to
> overlook that?
>
> > Pivot can't make use of server-side faceted browsing engines.
> >

> Why do you speculate? You are incorrect and Virtuoso *doing* what you
> claim is impossible will be emphatic proof, nice and simple.
>
> Pivot consumes data from HTTP accessible collections (which may be
> static or dynamic [1]). A dynamic collection is comprised of CXML
> resources (basically XML) .
>
> > You need to send *all* the data to the Pivot client, and it computes
> the
> > facets and performs any filtering operation client-side.
>
> You make a collection from a huge corpus of data (what I demonstrate)
> then you "Save As" (which I demonstrate as the generation point re.
> CXML
> resource) and then Pivot consumes. All the data is Virtuoso hosted.
>
> There are two things you are overlooking:
>
> 1. The dynamic collection is produced at the conclusion of Virtuoso
> based faceted navigation (the interactions basically describes the
> Facet
> membership to Virtuoso)
> 2. Pivot works with static and dynamic collections .
>
> *I specifically state, this is about using both products together to
> solve a major problem. #1 Faceted Browsing UX #2 Faceting over a huge
> data corpus.*
>
> Virtuoso is an HTTP server, it can serve a myriad of representations of
> data to user agents (it has its own DBMS hosted XSLT Processor and XML
> Schema Validator with XQuery/XPath to boot, all very old stuff).
>

> BTW -- how do you think Peter Haase got his variant working? I am sure
> he will shed identical light on the matter for you.

Of course you are both right;-)
With dynamic collections you can use server side facet engines when
computing the collection (that's what we do), but for a given collection you
have to send all the data to the client at once, no matter whether it is
dynamically computed or not. If the result set is large (>>1k items), you
have a problem. What is needed is Top-k plus the right pivot/refinement
operators (which link to new dynamic collections).

Regards,
Peter