Contd: A URI(Web ID) for the semantic web community as a foaf:Group

Tom Heath wrote:
> On 26 March 2010 15:27, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, there once was an instance of Virtuoso+ODS at:
>> <http://community.linkeddata.org/ods> that actually gave all members of
>> LOD a URI. All you have to do is walk through the LOD mail archives to
>> see how it came to an end. Tom Heath didn't want it there, and as far as
>> I was concerned, I simply wasn't interested in grappling with him; its
>> his domain (bottom line) and he has the right to do whatever with it (my
>> last comments in an old mail thread about this matter).
>>

> Kingsley,
>
> I don't believe your mail gives an accurate account of events. From my
> records the discussion was mainly off-list, and the decision to
> deprecate community.linkeddata.org was a group decision, not mine
> alone. At some point after that decision was taken, the Openlink Data
> Spaces instance that you hosted at that subdomain disappeared.
>
> (For the record I never hosted anything at this subdomain, it was
> simply pointed using a DNS CNAME record at an EC2 instance
> administered by Openlink.)
>
> It would be useful if you could properly reference the mails in
> question so others can refer to them easily. I've assembled those
> messages I've found which are relevant to the topic and will put these
> online shortly so others have access.
>
> Tom.

Tom,

Here is an excerpt of my comments to you, if you are happy, I will share
the entire thread with the mailing list (esp. as I assumed we where
having a public  conversation re. LOD):

Tom,

> Goal is to have a place for people to easily obtain personal URIs. In a way,
> official LOD community Web IDs.
> FOAF+SSL is the most important feature here and LOD should be a launch pad.
>
> Possible options:
> yourid.linkeddata.org
> webid.linkeddata.org
> me.linkeddata.org
>

> This is how it works:
>
> 1. New Users open accounts
> 2. Edit profile
> 3. Click a button that makes an X.509 certificate, exports to browser, and
> writes to FOAF space
> 4. Member visits any FOAF+SSL or OpenID space on the Web and never has to
> present uid/pwd
>
> For existing members, they simply perform steps 3-4.

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen