Re: A question - use 301 instead of 406?

John Erickson wrote:
> Thank you Richard for that email; I think in making this
> observation/asking this question you've pointed out the subtle role
> that the "generic document" plays, esp (from
> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument):
>
> "...This has the advantage that clients can bookmark and further work
> with the generic document. A user having a RDF-capable client could
> bookmark the document, and mail it to another user (or device) which
> then dereferences it and gets the HTML or the RDF view..."

I think most important of all, we now have a Generic Document URL (a
kind of URI) and a Generic HTTP URI (an pure Identifier).

The Identifier is what Identifies the Subject of a Description.  A
Generic URL can act as a place holder location for accessing a Subject's
description in a variety of  data representations or formats.

All in all, we are getting closer to coherently explaining that the Web
of Linked Data tweak is all about: Structured Documents  that explicitly
Describe "Things", unambiguously.  You have a Document, an unambiguously
identified Subject (its primarytopic), and a constellation of
characteristics that coalesce around the Subject via Attribute=Value
pairs (basically making a 3-tuple or triple once you align the pairs to
Subject).

Kingsley

>>> http://foo/bar.rdf when it gets a Accept: application/rdf+xml
> [...]
>>> clear to someone who wanted the NIR URI where to find it.
>>>
>>> So that is some of the context and motivation.
>>> If we were to decide to be more forgiving, what might be done?
>>> How about using 301?
>>> <<Ducks>>
>>> To save you looking it up, I have appended the RFC2616 section to this
>>> email.
>>> That is
>>> Accept: application/rdf+xml http://foo/bar.html
>>> Should 301 to http://foo/bar
>>> It seems to me that it is basically doing what is required - it gives the
>>> client the expected access, while telling it (if it wants to hear) that it
>>> should correct the mistake.
>>> One worry (as Danius Michaelides pointed out to me) is that the caching
>>> may
>>> need careful consideration - should the response indicate that it is not
>>> cacheable, or is that not necessary?
>>>
>>> So that's about it.
>>> I am unhappy that users doing the obvious thing might get frustrated
>>> trying
>>> to find the URIs for heir Things, so really want a solution that is not
>>> just
>>> 406.
>>> Are there other ways of being nice to users, without putting a serious
>>> burden on the client software?
>>>
>>> I look forward to the usual helpful and thoughtful responses!
>>>
>>> By the way, I see no need to 301 to http:/foo/bar if you get a
>>> Accept: text/html http://foo/bar.rdf as the steps to that might lead to
>>> this
>>> would require someone looking at an rdf document to decide to use it as a
>>> NIR, which is much less likely. And the likelihood is that there is an
>>> eyeball there to see the problem.
>>> But maybe it should?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Hugh
>>>

>>> 10.3.2 301 Moved Permanently
>>>
>>>  The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
>>>  future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned
>>>  URIs.  Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically
>>>  re-link references to the Request-URI to one or more of the new
>>>  references returned by the server, where possible. This response is
>>>  cacheable unless indicated otherwise.
>>>
>>>  The new permanent URI SHOULD be given by the Location field in the
>>>  response. Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity of the
>>>  response SHOULD contain a short hypertext note with a hyperlink to
>>>  the new URI(s).
>>>
>>>  If the 301 status code is received in response to a request other
>>>  than GET or HEAD, the user agent MUST NOT automatically redirect the
>>>  request unless it can be confirmed by the user, since this might
>>>  change the conditions under which the request was issued.
>>>
>>>     Note: When automatically redirecting a POST request after
>>>     receiving a 301 status code, some existing HTTP/1.0 user agents
>>>     will erroneously change it into a GET request.

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen