Re: A question - use 301 instead of 406?

(Sorry, I should have given the URI of the document I quoted from:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616.)

Yes.
Many thanks.
I had looked for just the response you describe from dbpedia, and decided
that the (since it didn't suggest the rdf URI), it probably wasn't something
that was done.
And even if it was, as the protocol "specification does not define any
standard for such automatic selection", it seemed unlikely to be easily done
automagically.
But if http://www.w3.org/ does it, then it must be good.
(And I hate misusing things, so 301 smells like a hack!)

And it doesn't tell the client to patch up, although presumably the client
is allowed to react to the 406 and "correct" the URI, probably based on the
NIR URI that comes back in the RDF.

More seriously, I can't find any support (in things like curl) for
seamlessly dealing with the implied redirection, in the same was as -L does
in curl. I am no protocol person though, so ...

Also it requires special code on the client side to handle this. But some
boiler plate code that dealt with it would facilitate.
But in our case, migrating a load of non-LD client code to LD becomes a
challenge, unless the libraries support this.

But at least we need to extend the "How to Publish" to embrace this?
At the least we should be doing what w3c.org does, suggesting the rdf URI
and maybe others.
And defining the format (for machine processing) would facilitate better
use.

We are experimenting with the 301 at the moment (Ian has put it into
rkbexplorer stuff), so if you want to see,
http://southampton.rkbexplorer.com/id/person-00021.

Best
Hugh