Re: Figuring out what's behind a SPARQL endpoint

Constantine,

> These queries give me some indication of what's there ... but  what would be
> handy is some sort of visualisation or analysis tool that gives me statistics
> like the number of resources contained in the endpoint, the type and predicate
> vocabularies used, and the density of linking between resources.
>
> Anything like this exist?

Short answer:

Yes, the voiD vocabulary and voiD tool set [1]-[6] as well as the W3C SPARQL
service description [7].

Longer answer:

There are two answers to it, IMO: first, the metadata regarding the
datasets, which is covered by voiD, the vocabulary of interlinked datasets
[1],[2],[3] - there are dedicated stores [4], [5] where you can find the
descriptions and you'll also be able to find the voiD descriptions via
general-purpose semantic indexers such as Sindice. There are also voiD tools
that allow you to generate voiD descriptions [6].

The second part is related to SPARQL itself. I can only point you into the
direction as I'm not directly involved in this activity: the W3C SPARQL
Working Group is working on "SPARQL 1.1 Service Description" [7].

BTW:  we take care of making sure that voiD plays nicely together with the
W3C service description stuff ;)

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://semanticweb.org/wiki/VoiD