Re: How to handle HTTP 301, 410

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
>> Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Representation of Data Object Description has new URL. Based on this
>>> response, the calling user agent *may* update its local relation between
>>> Data Object and the URL of the Resource that bears its Description
>>> (Representation). This is where an explicit "isDescribeBy" relation
>>> comes in handy re. Object Identifier association with Resource bearing
>>> its Description.
>>>

>> I really think isDescribedBy is a good idea for many reasons, in this
>> context I'm unsure though (more below).
>>
>> Unsure with regards "Representation of Data Object Description has new
>> URL" as the documentation is pretty explicit in saying "resource has
>> been assigned a new permanent URI".
>>
> In my world view: Resources have URLs while Data Objects have Generic
> HTTP URIs.
>
> I believe you can have Data Object ID:
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/<data-object>
> Described by a Resource at: http://dbpedia.org/page/<data-object> .
>
> So if <http://dbpedia.org/page/<data-object> changes, the UA can update
> its local cache or store or whatever mechanism it uses to handle
> interaction with Data Objects with  Identifiers that resolve to
> Description bearing Resource Locations.
>> For instance if I changed by WebID and moved my FOAF profile at some
>> point in the future I would potentially see this as a mechanism of
>> informing all those who deference my "old" WebID about my new WebID,
>> with the additional note that they should now use "new URI" as by WebID.
>>
> WebID (a Data Object Identifier) is Referenced by your FOAF Profile
> Document (a Resource at a location).
>> I guess I'd probably expect people to create something like <newid>
>> replaces <oldid>; and then use new from here on..
>>
> Yes, but try to be clear about what's changing here. Is it the Data
> Object Idenfifier or the location of its Resource bearing Description.
> Identifiers (irrespective of whether they resolve or not must be
> distinct from the things they are associated with).

I agree, but, if I need the Identifier to stay dereferencable in order
to serve a description then I'd have to change the Data Object
Identifier regardless of where the description is; and even if there was
no description at all; when using http URIs I may need to change the URI
for legal reasons.

Regards!