Re: How to handle HTTP 301, 410

Funnily enough we were talking about this the other day, and commenting how
few browsers seem to respect this in relation to the bookmarks facility, as
far as we could tell.

I'm not sure I would move it much into the RDF level, but deal with it at an
http/URI level, as implied.

On 09/03/2010 14:07, "Nathan" <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm mainly wondering.. what the Linked Data implications of the
> following are:
>
> 301 Moved Permanently
>    The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
>    future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned
>    URIs.  Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically
>    re-link references to the request-target to one or more of the new
>    references returned by the server, where possible. [1]
For me this means that I SHOULD replace the occurrence of the URI in my
triple store with the new one, and even elsewhere in RDF documents.
May not easy to do, but...

> 410 Gone
>    The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
>    forwarding address is known.  This condition is expected to be
>    considered permanent.  Clients with link editing capabilities SHOULD
>    delete references to the request-target after user approval. [2]
Gulp.
After user approval is a hard concept to have in LD; so although one could
try and remove any triples that reference it (reassert the model without
them?), I am inclined to say leave it dangling, as permitted (that is,
assume there was no user approval).

As far as sameAs.org, and any other sameAs stores go, it is much simpler to
work out what to do.
There is a deprecate facility, which means that you can query using a
deprecated URI to find the sameas, but ti will never give it out.
So for 301, you assert the new URI as equivalent and deprecate the old one.
For 410 you just deprecate the old one.

Best