Re: The Ordered List Ontology

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

>>> They might be messy, but they are *possible* structures using pointers,
>>> which is what the RDF vocabulary describes.  Its just about impossible to
>>> guarantee that messes can't happen when all you are doing is describing
>>> structures in an open-world setting. But I think the cure is to stop
>>> thinking that possible-messes are a problem to be solved. So, there is
>>> dung
>>> in the road. Walk round it.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> So this is a point that probably needs careful presentation to new
>> users of this technology. Educating people that they shouldn't believe
>> any random RDF they find in the Web, ... now that is pretty easy.
>> Still needs doing, but it shadows real world intuitions pretty well.
>>
>> If in real life you think the Daily Mail is full of nonsense, then it
>> isn't a huge leap to treat RDFized representations of their claims
>> with similar skepticism (eg. see
>> http://data.totl.net/cancer_causes.rdf for a great list of Things The
>> Daily Mail Say Might Cause Cancer).
>>
>> *However* it is going to be tough to persuade developers to treat a
>> basic data structure like List in the same way.
>
> Sure.  But what they need to grok is that RDF does not have ANY data
> structures in it (except maybe triples). It describes data structures, just
> like it describes everything else. It does not PROVIDE data structures.
> Maybe it should - make the case! - but then it will need to change rather
> drastically in its very foundation. Triples describing lists are not the
> same as triples-plus-lists.

The issue is here that RDF started as a metadata format to "describe"
data I believe, and at this point with the Linked Data is now being
transformed into a generic language *for* data, period.  The lack of
lists (and hashes, and other things programmers are used to dealing
with) in a reasonable (read "non-XML") syntax is one of the primary
reasons the developer community has moved towards JSON.

Now, the question is "Would it be possible to provide a JSON-like
number of data-structures in RDF, and what would this do to its
semantics?" Pat?

Given that programming langauge semantics define these things all the
time and it's pretty standard, I imagine its possible. But it might
make life hard for the principles that RDF was founded upon, i.e. the
sort of "open world" flavor of it all.

Thus, I imagine it's a trade-off, like most good things in life :)