Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

On Jun 30, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Nathan wrote:

> Pat Hayes wrote:
>> On Jun 30, 2010, at 6:45 AM, Toby Inkster wrote:
>>>
>>> You can create some pretty awesome messes even without OWL:
>>>
>>>    # An rdf:List that loops around...
>>>
>>>    <#mylist> a rdf:List ;
>>>        rdf:first <#Alice> ;
>>>        rdf:next <#mylist> .
>>>
>>>    # A looping, branching mess...
>>>
>>>    <#anotherlist> a rdf:List ;
>>>        rdf:first <#anotherlist> ;
>>>        rdf:next <#anotherlist> .
>>>
>> They might be messy, but they are *possible* structures using
>> pointers, which is what the RDF vocabulary describes.  Its just
>> about impossible to guarantee that messes can't happen when all you
>> are doing is describing structures in an open-world setting. But I
>> think the cure is to stop thinking that possible-messes are a
>> problem to be solved. So, there is dung in the road. Walk round it.
>
> Could we also apply that to the 'subjects as literals' general
> discussion that's going on then?
>
> For example I've heard people saying that it encourages bad 'linked
> data' practise by using examples like { 'London' a x:Place } -
> whereas I'd immediately counter with { x:London a 'Place' }.
>
> Surely all of the subjects as literals arguments can be countered
> with 'walk round it', and further good practise could be aided by a
> few simple notes on best practise for linked data etc.

I wholly agree. Allowing literals in subject position in RDF is a no-
brainer. (BTW, it would also immediately solve the 'bugs in the RDF
rules' problem.) These arguments against it are nonsensical. The REAL
argument against it is that it will mess up OWL-DL, or at any rate it
*might* mess up OWL-DL.

The Description Logic police are still in charge:-)

Pat