Re: The Ordered List Ontology

Yes, I like the SWAN ontology ... I remember sometimes ago I wanted to modularize it and submit the modules as design patterns :).

Consider that, besides the typing problem in OLO, there is a difference between OLO and SWAN in that OLO allows for "slots" that enable a designer to assign indexes to items directly, while SWAN does not have indexes, although they can be inferred with a query over the "swan:nextItem" property. SWAN has the advantage of making a clear distinction between sets, bags and lists.

In principle, with a RIF rule added to SWAN (or a SPARQL/SPIN add-on), you can get the same results as in OLO, while being able to reason with transitivity over a sequence relation in a list.

Considering sequencing, it'd be nice to decouple transitivity and intransitivity (easier queries and rules), cf. the "sequence" design pattern in ODP [3].

[3] http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/cp/owl/sequence.owl

On 28 Jun 2010, at 15:08, Silvio Peroni wrote:

> Hi Aldo,
>
>> Hi Bob, I like the basic idea here because it matches a real modelling need to represent ordered collections/lists.
>> A vocabulary for that can be submitted as a design patterns on ODP [1] for public utility.
>
> An OWL ontology describing ordered/non-ordered collections [1] has been published by Paolo Ciccarese for SWAN [2]. I think it is enough general to be considered a kind of pattern for handling these scenarios, isn't it?
>
> Best,
>
> S.
>

> [1] - http://swan.mindinformatics.org/spec/1.2/collections.html
> [2] - http://swan.mindinformatics.org

> Silvio Peroni, Ph.D. student
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Bologna, Bologna (Italy)
> +39 051 2094871
> speroni@cs.unibo.it – http://palindrom.es/phd

_____________________________________

Aldo Gangemi
Senior Researcher
Semantic Technology Lab (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology,
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513