Re: Organization ontology

Greetings!

On 6/7/2010 11:27 PM, Todd Vincent wrote:

> In the law, there are two concepts (a) Person and (b) Entity.   In
> simple terms:
>
> A person is a human.
>
> An entity is a non-human.

Well, yes, in simple terms but the law isn't always simple. ;-)

How would you handle municipalities that are considered to be "persons"
for purposes of Title 42 Section 1983 actions? (civil rights)

It remains a municipality for any number of legal purposes but is also a
"person" in other contexts.

I am sure a scan of the Federal Code (to say nothing of the case law)
would turn up any number of nuances to the concept "person." Perhaps not
as complex as the attribution of ownership rules in the IRC but enough
to be interesting.

The law in logic folks did a lot of work on legal concepts. One of the
journals was Modern Uses of Logic in Law, later became Jurimetrics.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau