RE: FOAF DL

Hi!

One note of caution!

The FOAF-DL ontology is only (approximately) equivalent to the original
version of FOAF in OWL /2/, since OWL keys have only been introduced as of
OWL 2. Older existing systems that depend on the FOAF inverse-functional
data properties (IFDPs) have to make sure that they can also work with the
new OWL 2 keys, before switching to the FOAF-DL ontology.

If such a system internally uses a reasoner that is able to work with IFDPs
but does not know about OWL 2 keys (e.g. the current version of the Jena
rule reasoner), then the system will not be able to make the expected
inferences anymore, i.e. that two foaf:Person having the same mbox_sha1sum
are the same person. So one will have to decide to either stay with the old
FOAF ontology, or to replace the currently used reasoner.

This is, of course, a general problem when trying to upgrade to a newer
specification. But it should at least be stated explicitly, when publishing
a variant of an ontology that is in wide use.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)