Re: [ANN] Uberblic Search API

Hi Tom,

Am 21.07.2010 19:46, schrieb Tom Morris:

[snip]

>> For developers that means: pick any URI that refers to the entity you mean (any of Scarlett Johanssons above) and you'll be fine.
>> In practice, that is: if you're building a movie applications, always pick the uberblic entity from The Movie DB.
>
> How does own determine which types correlate with which collections of
> URIs as "best"?  Is this information encoded in machine-readable
> format someplace or is it just that humans know that a database called
> "movie" as got to be best for a type called "actor"?

For such an issue (Information Service selection), I designed the Info
Service Ontology[1]. This should bring the customer of a knowledge base
(federated information service) at the end into the position, to choose
Information Services by Information Service profiles. Furthermore, such
profiles could include Information Service quality ratings (from
different Information Service quality rating agencies).
The Information Service/customer matching could be done automatically,
by matching a descriptive user profile (and/or the query itself) to
Information Service descriptions, or manually, by selecting the
Information Service(s) of his/her own choice (by evaluating Information
Service profiles and/or Information Service quality ratings).

I know to achieve this goal, there are still some tasks to do. However,
I believe that especially end users will benefit from such knowledge.

Cheers,

Bob

[1] http://purl.org/ontology/is/infoservice.html