Re: spam

Nathan wrote:
> So, after seeing this question on stack overflow...
>
> '''Geiitng Adresses of Contact Us page of any web site
> I want to capture address given on the contact us page. Is there any
> php script to do so. I am struck coz of it. my client want to store
> adresse of the web sites given on contact us page. I am able to get
> content from contact us page. but i am quite confuse how to get only
> address from this page.'''
>
> .. and preceded by seeing 50-100+ projects advertised (daily) to
> scrape contact details and create databases for spam purposes on most
> freelance websites - I quickly come to the realisation that with
> Linked Data, the tasks of these people just became a whole lot easier,
> indeed the data is all MRD for them and linked up to more.
>
> Thus, in addition to nudging at general awareness of these issues, I
> do wonder who (if anybody) is working on spam (and unethical usage)
> solutions for the web of data?
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan

Nathan,

SPAM busting is something Linked Data while handle very well. A few
moons ago when TimBL put out the GGG post [1], we had a little
experiment whereby you could only comment if you where at least one
degree of separation from an individual in his FOAF file. The post has
zillions of readers and not a single SPAM comment :-) Sadly, the
platform went down and the sole comment (mine) was lost :-(

The WebID protocol emergence marks the beginning of the end for easy SPAM.

Make note of this re. WebID protocol usecases as we continue our
development of usecase collateral for the protocol :-)

Links:

1. http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/215 -- this post used to
have a single comment, platform upgrade lost the comment

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen