Re: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

I greatly respect Jeremy's thoughts, and they may be spot-on in this
case, but I urge the community to be cautious about how much weight to
give this kind of "pragmatic" economics-driven argument generally as
the semantic technology industry grows.

Virtually every organization has -- should have! -- increasing "vested
interests" in their own unique approach. In many cases, their
stakeholders may be better-served by maintaining the status quo; many
others will be served by upsetting the collective apple cart. Progress
is made collectively by hearing out and sometimes acting on
well-reasoned arguments from the other side, even if the implications
are changing one's code base!

Industry consortia move things that look and smell like standards --
W3C recommendations -- ahead by appealing to the "greater good." Thus
I interpret Jeremy's comments as not a call to halt progress; rather,
he's simply asking for a strong case be made that the proposed changes
would benefit the *community* in a compelling way. He's asking for
well-reasoned arguments for change that colleagues around the
ecosystem might present to their grumpy, grey-suited, money-grubbing,
cigar-smoking management ;)

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.