Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

Henry Story wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2010, at 16:35, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>

>> Yves Raimond wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Kingsley!
>>>

>>> [snip]

>>> It does look like you're already using literal subjects in OpenLink
>>> Virtuoso though:
>>>
>>> http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/rdfsparql.html
>>>
>>> SQL>SELECT *
>>> FROM <people>
>>> WHERE
>>>  {
>>>    ?s foaf:Name ?name . ?name bif:contains "'rich*'".
>>>  }
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>

>> Were is the Literal Subject in the query above?
>>
>> bif:contains is a function/magic predicate scoped to Literal Objects.
>>
>> <people> != "people".
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>

> Why do you think it is magic? Such a relation makes complete sense.

It's a virtuoso function surfaced as a predicate.
"magic predicate" was an initial moniker used at creation time.
"bif:contains" doesn't exist in pure triple form etc..

> Given that is is a relation between literals it can be tested without needing
> to look at the world. Just like an math:isgreaterThan relation ...
>
> In fact I wonder how much SPARQL could be simplified by thinking of things this
> way. Could one perhaps get rid of the FILTER( ) clause?
>
> In any case RDF Semantics does, I believe,
> allow literals in subject position. It is just that many many syntaxes
> don't allow that to be expressed,
>
> But there is nothing you can do to stop that happening semantically.  A URI or bnode
> can just be names for strings.
>
> And as for it requiring a change to the infrastructure of your DB, it is not clear that
> it immediately does, since you can alwasy rewrite
>

> "father" containsLetters 6 .
>
> as
>
> [] owl:sameAs "father";
>    containsLetters 6 .

DBMS wise, indexing is an issue which ultimately leads to data access
performance problems etc.. Steve already covered that ditto Ivan in
earlier comments, I believe.

In Virtuoso an IRI is a native type with implications as per comment above.

Kingsley
> Henry
>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,