Re: Question about "paths as URIs" in the BBC RDF

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Ross Singer <rossfsinger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure this is what the spec actually says.  xml:base deals with
>> relative URIs (which may be either a relative or absolute path, per
>> RFC2396 section 5:
>> "relativeURI   = ( net_path | abs_path | rel_path ) [ "?" query ]").
>>

> Then I am getting very confused: shouldn't the example in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlbase-20010627/#syntax have /hotpicks/
> resolving to http://example.org/today/hotpicks/? Also, according to
> the doc Dan mentioned, if it was the case, does that mean something
> like "/path" gets resolved to "location of the document/path"?

I think section 5.2 may be relevant:

      If the scheme component is defined, indicating that the reference
      starts with a scheme name, then the reference is interpreted as an
      absolute URI and we are done.  Otherwise, the reference URI's
      scheme is inherited from the base URI's scheme component.

And 5.1.2 defines the base URI as:

    If no base URI is embedded, the base URI of a document is defined by
   the document's retrieval context.  For a document that is enclosed
   within another entity (such as a message or another document), the
   retrieval context is that entity; thus, the default base URI of the
   document is the base URI of the entity in which the document is
   encapsulated.

So I really think xml:base is not necessary in that context?