Re: [Freebase-experts] ISBNs, owl:sameAs, etc

This issue had several threads on mailing lists. See e.g. my recap of
a thread in SWIG from May 2008 [1].

Not a lot of evolution from that time, except it seems now pretty
clear that we need a vocabulary to talk about different similarity
relations (the most recent request for it came from Pat Hayes at
Washington Vocamp).

However, a new vocabulary for similarity relations would also carry
the need to "educate" people in using it, and would hamper
interoperability with existing owl:sameAs datasets. However, better
soon than never, I think :).

Ciao
Aldo

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008May/0126.html

On 7 Jan 2010, at 22:39, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

> hi ross,
> apologies for the delay!
>
> as long as both URIs represent a book title, i have no objections.
>
> my comment was a rather generic warning - URNs and "non-URN URIs"
> can of course be linked by owl:sameAs.
>
> intelligence of a human or machine agent depends on the subtleness
> and quality of that agent's category system. if everything is sameAs
> to lots of other things, then the amount of intelligent conclusions
> you can draw from the LOD cloud will be limited.
>
> best
> martin
>

> Ross Singer wrote:
>> Martin,
>>
>> Given that there's apparently considerable disagreement here (and
>> probably plenty of confusion), can you elaborate on what exactly you
>> object to in this request?
>>
>> The first objection I saw raised was by Tom Morris ("is a FreeBase
>> topic really a book?") and agree that urn:isbn:9780670063260 is not
>> the same thing as http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/en.on_the_road.
>>
>> However, I'm not sure I see that distinction between
>> urn:isbn:9780670063260 and
>> http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/soft.isbn.9780670063260.best as they're
>> both trying to identify an edition (or, loosely, a
>> frbr:Manifestation)
>> of a work.
>>
>> My questions would be:
>> 1) If the latter relationship is not a good fit for owl:sameAs, why?
>> 2) if #1 is true, what is a better alternative?
>>
>> I understand the rationale of not wanting to water down the semantics
>> of owl:sameAs to the point that it's little more than rdfs:seeAlso
>> with louder voice.  At the same time, it's difficult to see if your
>> issue is with a type mismatch between a URN and a URI; how FreeBase
>> models their data; or general "mutually assured destruction"-ness of
>> owl:sameAs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Ross.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Martin Hepp (UniBW)
>> <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
>>
>>> dear all:
>>> quite clearly, a book title is not the same as a book, and if the
>>> linked
>>> data community continues to link apples and oranges via owl:sameAs
>>> then
>>> either
>>>
>>> - the socially agreed meaning owl:sameAs is being degraded to
>>> untyped href
>>> in HTML
>>> or
>>> -  vast amount of data in the linked data cloud turns useless
>>>
>>> but as a minimum precaution against spoiling the graph of data,
>>> put your
>>> sameAs statements into separate graphs so that meaningful
>>> applications can
>>> filter them out easily.
>>>
>>> best
>>>
>>> martin

>>> --
>>> martin hepp
>>> e-business & web science research group
> [...]

_____________________________________

Aldo Gangemi

Senior Researcher
Semantic Technology Lab (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology,
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513