Re: Eating your own dog food and inviting others to dinner

On 12/14/10 10:59 AM, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program wrote:
> Eating your own dog food and inviting others to dinner is not the
> exclusive domain of software engineers only, as I discovered when
> trying to come up with a new paradigm for building online communities
> with social search capabilities for selected sectors industry or civil
> society.
>
> So it got me thinking about linked data and the semantic web, based on
> the contents I have seen in emails from the past two years from the
> two mailing lists fro the W3C to which I subscribe and read every
> single day
>
> One of the biggest problems we seem to have in getting linked data and
> the semantic web to the main public is that "we" i.e. its promoters,
> aficionados, gurus and developers and dedicated users  are scattered
> all over the place and on the internet.
>
> Has anyone ever given thought to creating a portal site, which
> combines some features of LinkedIn.com and Arxiv.org with online
> directories, product exhibits and a "social search engine"?

Yes.

Only requirement will be obtaining a WebID [1] using your preferred
platform or provider.

> And of course there would be the links to everything.
>
> And the whole darn thing would be an excellent launching pad for new
> start-ups and information hub for angel and corporate investors to
> hunt for new projects to fund.
>
> Build it and they will come.

Yes!

That's the Webby way of bootstrapping via Dogfood.

> Is there any way we can get a collection of interested professionals,
> existing groups and initiatives together to dream up the design and
> blue print for such a thing and then build it?

There are a number of loosely coupled linked data spaces already, in
some cases people don't even know they are members of powerful data
spaces :-)

Links:

1. http://esw.w3.org/WebID -- WebID Information Page
2. http://kingsley.idehen.net/c/B7KZP -- Sampling from Cambridge
Semantic Web Meetup (using PivotViewer page with QR Codes to drive home
effect).

Kingsley

> Milton Ponson
> GSM: +297 747 8280
> PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
> Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
> Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for
> sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT
> tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and
> repositories of data and information for sustainable development

> the system manager. This message contains confidential information and
> is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen