Re: Best practice for permantently moved resources?

On Thursday 12. August 2010 13:35:28 John Erickson wrote:
> I realize this is a dangerous question, but...what is the cause of the
> change?

Oh, it is good and interesting question, but one that I cannot answer, and
my solution has to be so generic it isn't relevant.

The problem is that I cannot know why editors decide to rename or move a
URI (which in this case identifies a skos:Concept). It is certainly not
done at minor revisions, but the latest example is that they moved
</data_og_kommunikasjon/> to </it_og_mobil/> (no translation necessary, I
hope), presumably simply because they felt that the former no longer felt
relevant to user's as a top-level category (arguably, that's a problem with
the relatively rigid taxonomy we have, but that's not a problem I can solve
now).

> This brings to mind a number of conversations I've had in the
> DOI/Handle System alternate reality, in which we've discussed a
> vocabulary of types (think: predicates) that could serve as hints to a
> HS proxy on what "physical" URI to return to a resolution request,
> including and especially as a "smart" way to handle conneg. Not only
> could these type assertions help the proxy distinguish between data
> vs. document, but it could nicely handle version ala Memento
> <http://mementoweb.org/>

Interesting perspective, but I'm not sure if it is relevant to me, as what
I do now is to export an ontology that has evolved over 15 years. It should
probably be redesigned, but there is value in that legacy too :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo