Re: UK Govt RDF Data Sets

Dan Brickley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeni Tennison wrote:
>>
>>> Kingsley,

> [...]
>
>> One thing I haven't been able to reconcile (in my head repeatedly) re. the
>> above.
>>
>> If data provenance is the key concern behind the RDF dump releases, doesn't
>> the same issue apply to CONSTRUCTs or DESCRIBE style crawls against the
>> published endpoints? Basically, the very pattern exhibited by some user
>> agents that hit the DBpedia endpoint (as per the "DBpedia Endpoint Burden"
>> post).
>> hes
>> What makes a SPARQL endpoint safer than an RDF dump in this regard?
>>

> For what it's worth, I've encountered very similar attitudes over the
> years in other environments. A good example is the digital library
> world; both regarding access to digital collections and online access
> to OPAC data, it was quite common to see Z39.50 search protocol access
> to the full collection, but accompanied by a rather cautious
> reluctance to also offer a simple data dump of the entire thing.
> Pointing out that you could do this via repeated Z39.50 searches was
> rarely helpful, and seemed more likely to encourage the search
> interface to be restricted than for data dumps to be made available.
> But hey, times are changing! I think it's just a matter of time...
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

Dan,

Yes, these are different times, and hopefully I am also point out a
point of vulnerability should the issue of inadvertently release of
private data be paramount.

A secure system should close all security loopholes, period. :-)

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen