Re: Comments on Data 3.0 manifesto

Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> Thanks for the response. I wanted to clarify a couple of points.
> Response edited and comments line:
>
> On 19 April 2010 16:28, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> I can replicate every killer ODBC demo I gave circa. 1993 with Linked
>> Data just by opening up a Descriptor URL. But, I can't really pull that
>> off today smoothly because my effort will ultimately get hijacked by RDF
>> issues like:
>>
>> 1. What is this thing you opened via a URL from Access or Excel?
>> 2. Why do those LINKs do the wonderful things we see (e.g., polymorphic
>> resultsets i.e., the pattern you see in snorql or isparql query results
>> tables)
>> 3. etc..
>>
>> The distraction in the scenario above will either come from a confused
>> user or a Semantic Web aficionado.  Ironically, both are equally
>> confused, all of the time, but one party doesn't know it :-(
>>

> I'm not sure I really follow that.
>
> Might the confusion you're seeing just be genuine questions about
> trying to understand what your demos are doing? (You don't always
> provide much context)

I think Danbri articulates the problem very well re. "URLs".

Follow the URL thread re. LINKER or leave the "Locator" alone.

Deemphasizing URL and emphasizing URI is a classic example. Neither are
actually devoid of confusion.

Nobody hears or conveys the following with clarity:

1. A Structured (EAV model based) Descriptor Document has an
Address/Location (URL) on an HTTP Network
2. It has a Subject
3. The Subject is Named via a Generic HTTP based Identifier ( a Hybrid
where Generic HTTP Identifiers are used for Names)
4. The Subject's Attributes are also Named the same way
5. The Attribute values may also be References to Subjects (via their
Names)
6. Names resolve to Structured Descriptions carried (or borne) by
Structured Descriptor Documents (accessed via their URLs).

Closed loop.

Here is the norm (when talking to the assumed newbie audience) or what
the aficionado expects to hear:

1. a Resource Description has a URI
2. Give Resources Names using HTTP
3. Use  RDF S-P-O Triples to Describe Resources
4. Link to other Resources using HTTP URIs.

Basically, Subject is a Resource, and a Resource has a URI. Wow!

Where do I get the Description from? Ah!  A URI.

Hmm I go get <http://xyz.rdf>, what's that? A Resource.

Hmm. what inside the resource <http://xyz.rdf>? Lots of triples that
have: Resource URIs in the Subject slot, Property Resource URIs in the
Property slot, and Values or Resources in the Object slot.

That's the deconstruction of  the *predictable essence* of a typical
Linked Data conversation.

Then to compound the matter, the ".rdf" files carry no relations back to
the Subject being described etc.. Thus, you can't even explore the
Description Graph by starting at the URI of the .rdf resource because in
a way the URI abstraction as used in this context deems the Descriptor
Document (or Resource) non existent (it isn't important).

Please do not characterize my concerns as being about people not groking
my demos, I haven't made a simple reference to my demos. I've made
references to applications that already exist in other realms that work,
and in many cases are plenty EAV savvy.

Note this example and specific tweaks explicitly made to DBpedia as part
of our quest for coherence:

curl -I -H "Accept: text/n3" http://dbpedia.org/data/DBpedia.n3
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Virtuoso/06.01.3127 (Solaris) x86_64-sun-solaris2.10-64  VDB
Connection: Keep-Alive