Re: Comments on Data 3.0 manifesto

Jiří Procházka wrote:
> So essentially, all this is a cover-up maneuver to sell RDF to the
> people masked as something else, more familiar?

Certainly not!

This about "Stars Wars" the prequel, basically how the prequel came to be.

The Data Model aspect of Linked Data has been conflated with a Markup
Language (inadvertently), and as a result reaction to the Markup is now
obscuring routes to the essence of the matter: use of a common data
model to for heterogeneous data virtualization and across-the-wire
reference.

> If so, I understand why you feel this is necessary, after all the goal
> is not to sell the customer what he asked for, but what he really wanted
> but didn't realize or could fully express (this time customer being tech
> folk).

In a sense yes, but via cleaner separation of the constituent parts.

> Anyway I rather use and try to market RDF as it is, maybe it's a bit too
> fast for some, but I guess I've left too little people in utter
> confusion yet to try so different ways :)

RDF is generally perceived as Markup.  You will have mix results -- at
best  -- when you start with RDF, on any marketing quest.

Personally, you'll have more success with RDF when you have a audience
that's bought into the fundamental EAV Data Model. Basically, RDF's
strength lies in the fidelity that it brings to Linked Data at global
scale re. HTTP networks like the World Wide Web.

> But before proceeding with your plan to fix RDF + Linked Data marketing,
> I ask you to consider also what in marketing RDF was done right beside
> what wasn't.

This is not about marketing, this is more about clear education by
separation of parts and re-connecting relevant parts to their
appropriate place within a broader innovation continuum re. data access,
data integration, and data management.

What we are really dealing with here is the ability to virtualize
heterogeneously shaped data, across disparate data sources. The effects
of virtualization at the hardware and operating system layers are clear
(i.e., Cloud Computing), why not data? Do we need to pay an "RDF Tax" en
route to data virtualization comprehension and appreciation?

> For example RDF has clear name (Data 3.0? not very good name IMHO), the
> core model is very simple and has been numerously very well explained.
> On the other hand your manifesto sounds a bit too complex, more like a
> spec than a manifesto. For the effect I think you are aiming you need
> something very simple and striking...
> Not to mention it is first time I am hearing about EAV model, we all are
> from different backgrounds so this terminology won't have much of an
> impact I fear, though it is still good to introduce yet distant
> communities.... ;)

The fact you are hearing about EAV for the first time makes my point.

EAV is very very old. It Precedes both the World Wide Web, and the
Semantic Web Project, let alone Linked Data.  I urge you to read [1][2] .

> For me greatest value of RDF and Linked Data lies in semantics - the
> ontologies (RDFS/OWL), which, as far as I understand it, the EAV model
> doesn't touch at all which in my eyes makes it only a bit better than
> tabular data models ("rectangular" as someone nicely coined some time
> ago somewhere).

The biggest problem we have is this: we don't do "mutual inclusion"
anymore, everyone wants to be the "new inventor". Basically, we are in
the era of boolean "OR" rather than "AND".

All the items you list re. "semantics" are expressed in 3-tuples
(triples) re. RDF, then partitioned across TBoxes (definitions) and
ABoxes (instances of the definitions). You don't have triples without an
EAV model. Where do you think the "Triples" come from?

RDF just adds HTTP scheme based Identifiers to the mix so that you have
a single Identifier for:

1. Naming a Referent
2. Accessing a Representation of a Referent's Description (carried by a
Descriptor Document or Resource).

How do you think programming languages have worked since the start of
time? I know of none that don't cater for items 1&2 above.
> Overall it seems to me like building a sand island in middle of a wide
> river to ease construction of bridges across it... I guess you have
> tried building a bridge without the island a few times and it collapsed
> every time, so I understand why you are building the island. But maybe I
> got better steel and mine bridges would last... maybe...
> On one hand I am glad we try these various ways and on the other I keep
> myself asking if the gain outweighs the price of fragmentation...

I hope you hold the same view once you've read up on the history of the
EAV Data Model. I'll leave it at that for now :-)

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-attribute-value_model
2. http://ycmi.med.yale.edu/nadkarni/eav_cr_frame.htm .

Kingsley