Re: [foaf-protocols] semantic pingback improvement request for foaf

Story Henry wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2010, at 18:57, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>

>> All,
>>
>> In a sense, we should be able to crystallize the following via our
>> Profile Pages:
>>
>> 1. Facebook Wall -- part of  Facebook Profile Pages
>>
>> 2. Poke (not the greatest term when you factor in cultural diversity,
>> but we do grok the "nudge" action) .
>>

> yes. Great ideas.
>

>> We would like to simplify the act of establishing and breaking
>> friendship via a simple "pinger" mechanism where our HTML based Profile
>> Docs should contain something like:
>>
>> <link rel="{pingback | poke | friend | something-else}"
>> href="{pingHandlerEndpoint}" ... /> .
>>

> Though it may even be better to have just one ping:request relation,
> that can be flexible and extensible. Mind you both are possible. We should
> decide to get the basic use cases done quickly and working, without attempting
> to overly generalise.

I got my use of "|" wrong, I was trying to convey: pick one of these for
the relation ... :-)

>> Profile owner can then do whatever with these LINKs e.g., use SPARUL or
>> some other mechanism to create specific assertions (via triples) in an
>> EAV (e.g. RDF) data space (Document, Quad Store, whatever)
>>

> Well, this is what has to be specified. The reader of these links needs to
> have some idea of what to do.

Yes, and this is what we should be specifying re. tweak to pingback.
> As I pointed out using SPARUL here is going to make it much more difficult to
> integrate with a number of web 2.0 apps. And those are the apps with the best
> user interface designers working on them. So we need to start off with very few
> requirements (parsing RDF/xml, rdfa) HTTP GET and POST I think are the best.

Leave the handling of the data to implementors. We just spec interfaces.
POST and GET are fine, they are generic, SPARUL is just an
implementation detail that could be part of how the POST operation is
actually handled within a given data space etc..
> Web Apps that do have SPARUL access can of course be leverage that in the development
> of their own apps to gain development efficiency.
>

>> If we can get "friending" and "unfriending" right, we will have
>> something as viral as twitter for breaking down social network data
>> silos while decentralizing identity via WebIDs.
>>

> Absolutely. I can't believe we did not think of doing this before.

Speak for yourself :-) LOL!

> We need {perl, python, scala,...} cgis, so that every one of us foafers can
> quickly add this functionality. I only get about 10 foaf friending requests a year.
> This would allow us to start making use of foaf.

Yes, in a major way.
> As soon as we have those simple proof of concepts we can then add this to tools
> such as Elgg, and give the web 2.0 community a reason to enter into the 2010 web3.0
> decade :-)

Yes, I am getting more confident by the second that 2010 is going to be
the Epiphany year!

>> We are close to a real tipping point here, just got to keep the user
>> aspect as simple as possible.
>>

> yes. Also keeping the developer aspect is important. HTML forms marked up with
> RDF, simple things like that is something devs can understand quickly.

Yep!
>> Twitter and Facebook are more important than Wordpress re. Social
>> Networking IMHO.
>>

> We need to get back to the philosophy of blogging that Wordpress and co got so
> right though: distributed networks. So helping workdpress make use of their foaf like
> this could also be a great use case.

Yes, but lets get Twitter users making Friends, and Facbook users (who
are already increasingly weary of this data space) realizing they can
make friends outside Facebook while still being part of Facebook. Of
course, if WP work for some, so be it, as per usual:  HTTP is inherently
mutually inclusive :-)

Kingsley
> Henry
>

>> Links: